Tuesday, 24 July 2012

Amy's Kitchen Mushroom Risotto Review

I don't eat a lot of ready meals, but sometimes I just can't be bothered to cook anything if I've been working late like I was yesterday, so I popped into Tesco to see what I could find. I would have preferred to get a vegan ready meal but I was in a hurry and didn't have time to read loads of labels, so I opted for this mushroom risotto (£2.49) from Amy's Kitchen as I have heard a lot about the brand. I was expecting it to be vegan, but alas, it contains a bit of cheese :( As I am not yet fully vegan I thought I would try it anyway as it was the only Amy's Kitchen product I could find in the store and I have been wanting to try their products for a while.


The portion size is average for a ready meal; none seem to be as big as I would have for a home-cooked meal. Although I could have done with a bit more, I didn't feel hungry afterwards. As you can see, the risotto is all natural, gluten free, Vegetarian Society Approved, and counts as 1 of your 5 a day.


I like to think that I am rather good at making risotto, and so I was a little reluctant to try a ready meal version. I was, however, pleasantly surprised. The risotto was full of flavour, and I could see plenty of mushrooms and peas (a good sign!). I honestly think that if you'd have served me this in a restaurant I wouldn't have known that it was a ready meal and not freshly made. It was even better than my risotto - I think more practise is needed!

As I said previously, I would have preferred the risotto to be vegan, but overall I really enjoyed it.


5 comments:

  1. Oooh this looks good! Although I would have to pick all the peas out though ;) haha xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks good I am always impressed with Amy's Kitchen ready meals, they taste nice and look home made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, this didn't taste like a ready meal at all xx

      Delete
  3. I just turned vegetarian recently, to be more specific I'm a vegetarian who still eats dairy and eggs (Sorry! Don't know the real term for that.) That being mostly due to the fact that I don't know many vegetarian places in my area and the fact my family isn't vegetarian like me. I normally cook my own dinner like you do, but some nights just can't be bothered with all my school work and out of school activities. Amy's is my savior for those nights! Just heat up one in the microwave and there! I got a meal that I goes with my diet and doesn't even taste like a ready meal. Tried the mushroom risotto (I had it for breakfast. Ha!) and it was delicious. Definitely tasted better than my own risotto!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...